The Northern Coast

The Northern Coast
The Northern Coast--photo by Zack Thieman

Saturday, November 3, 2012

In case you don't hear from me for awhile...

I just wanted to write a quick post to let you all know I am participating in NaNoWriMo, AKA, National Novel Writing Month (<---check it out!)

NaNoWriMo is a 30 day challenge to do exactly what it sounds like-- write a novel. A 50,000-word fiction novel, to be more specific. Participants are signed up through the website, give regular updates on the word count of their story, and are encouraged through messages from published authors, sponsors, and "writing buddies" to forge ahead and continue the story. Participants who finish in the allotted time with a 50,000 word story (that consists of more than one word written 50,000 times) can hand in their work for the official check to be considered "winners" (read: big pat on the back and bragging rights). Editing as you go is discouraged and writing at least 1,667 words a day on average is recommended in order to finish on time.

I had heard about NaNoWriMo before in the past, but hadn't put a lot of thought into it as I prefer to write non-fiction. But this year the universe spoke to me, and it said, "Amanda, spend your free-time writing a fictional story in English that even you don't know where it's going to go. That way the rest of your day will be muddled with constant questions and story ideas, as well as compromised Spanish speaking abilities."

It's day three, I have 4963 words, 45,037 words remaining, and I can already see the days ahead in which I hate everything about this story and this idea. Which is why it's going to be really fun. It's a new challenge!

So, I apologize ahead of time if you don't hear from me much this month. Cut me some slack, I'm writing a novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment