The Northern Coast

The Northern Coast
The Northern Coast--photo by Zack Thieman

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pico de Gallo

Pico de Gallo, direct translation: beak of the rooster

One of our gallos on the roof of our apartment.

When I first got here, I was woken up every morning by gallos cock-a-doodle-doo-en at 4:00 am, even with my earplugs in. Now, my vecino could be rocking cumbia, my host brother Diego can be listening to Justin Bieber, and I won’t budge until my alarm goes off. I sleep hard every night. Normally I am a very light sleeper, but the days here wear me out fast. Also, I have no choice but to adjust now that I’m somewhere that goes against the grain of my own culture. That’s what every day is like here; constant adjustment.

It hasn’t been much time, and I’ve already been through so much. And when I say, “been through so much” I mostly mean feelings, like being really uncomfortable, awkward, hungry, cranky, on the verge of tears, inappropriately loud, completely overwhelmed, and an all around mess. In all honesty, I haven't actually done a whole lot other than training and homework for training. But, to add some more stress to things, I can’t speak English anymore. I'm not kidding, I had to proof-read this blog 20 times. While my Spanish has improved mucho, I'm still not that great at it. I mostly live in limbo—I can’t fully express myself in any language anymore.

So, as you can imagine, I have already experienced issues with language, sometimes being left in the dark until I come to the realization of what is being said days later.

One day I was on the roof of our apartment (our apartment is three floors, and the roof is where you do laundry, and also where the roosters are) and Diego was showing me the gallos. As he showed me them I realized there weren’t really any female chickens, so I asked Diego, “Why do you only have roosters? Do you not have any chickens for eggs? Do you eat these roosters?”

Diego responded, “No, these roosters are only for ______ with other chickens.”

Now, normally when I’m talking to someone and I don’t know a word (that’s what the blank is for, I had no idea what he was saying) I think in context. You know, 1 + x = 3 isn’t too hard to figure out, and those times when I can’t figure out what people are saying, I usually ask for a definition.

Well, in this situation, I filled in the blank as such; “No, these roosters are only for mating with other chickens.” So, I didn’t press on. I just said, “Oh, okay,” and left it at that.

A few days later there was a big block party going on down the street. I have no idea if this is a regular thing or if it was special, because I haven’t been here for enough weekends to know, but I was warned it might be a little peligroso for me because everyone was going to be drunk. So I was just spending time at home with the family when Diego came up to me at the dinner table and asked, “Amanda, do you want to go watch the roosters ____?” Once again, he used that word I didn’t know, but had figured meant mating.

“Uh, no, I don’t want to watch that, Diego,” I said.

“Please, Amanda! Please! I want to go watch!”

By this point I was starting to think that either Diego was a very strange boy, or my contextual language acquisition method was failing me.

Diego looked at his dad and said, “Please, Dad! I want to watch! I want to go watch the roosters _____.”

“Fine, okay, we’ll go,” my host dad responded, and went to get his jacket. “Amanda, we’ll be back later, have a good night.”

At that moment, the lightbulb finally went off.

Diego wanted to watch the roosters mate fight.

My host family raises roosters to cockfight.

For citizens of the U.S., animals used for entertainment in violent and cruel ways is generally frowned upon—and illegal. But here, it is part of everyday life. Having a party? Bring the gallos along! Celebrating Fathers Day? How about watching a cockfight while the women make lunch? It’s just how things are. It’s another one of those cultural things that may make our jaws drop but really there isn't anything to do about it. I’m going to pick my battles. While I don’t particularly enjoy hearing accounts from my 10 year-old host brother on how one gallo clawed out the other’s eye, or one got kicked in the spine and paralyzed, it could be worse. Menos mal in other words.

Otherwise, I don’t think I’ve made too many language faux paus yet. At least that I know of. Next week I may find out I’ve been saying something incredibly inappropriate, or that I’ve been calling people by the wrong name. Either way, poco a poco…

2 comments:

  1. haha thats a pretty funny mix up! at least you have a pretty decent grasp of Spanish, im lost over here! some days its nice and relaxing to be oblivious, other days its annoying! sounds like you are having good learning experiences. keep it up cant wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was GREAT Amanda!!! And it's good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor!! "when in Rome..!"
    And you know me....you wouldn't have to proof read for me! but I know that miss spelled words and the like are your pet peeves!

    ReplyDelete