The Northern Coast

The Northern Coast
The Northern Coast--photo by Zack Thieman

Friday, August 10, 2012

A seasoned volunteer?

Last weekend some of us current volunteers met the newbies (I hated that word when it was being used to describe me) from group 19 who will be joining us in the lovely department of Lambayeque. There are nine of them (the most being sent to one department in their training group), all youth and small-business trainees, and they are all currently finishing up their week-long site visit.

When we met them it made me think a lot about my site visit. It also made me realize I am now what some may consider a seasoned volunteer. I can't believe it's been a year since I saw my site for the first time and met my host family. I shook with nerves as I had to give various speeches at different events throughout town. The northern accent threw me for a loop and I couldn't understand anyone. I also spent my last day during my visit laid-up with food poisoning and my host family fretted over me, probably thinking, "Oh sh#t we broke the gringa!"

In that week alone I had some high-highs and low-lows as I felt extremely lonely, extremely lucky, and above all, incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.

So glad that's all over!


Or...I guess it's not really over, just less extreme. Some things change and some stay the same, but overall I'd consider myself acostumbrado (accustomed). 

Here's to another year of conquering loneliness by making more friends, appreciating this once-in-a-lifetime experience for what it is, and embracing the awkward and uncomfortable.

And here are some photos from this time last year!
Group 17 Lambayeque volunteers at the capital municipality on Socio Day, meeting the people who would introduce us to our communities and hopefully help us in our future work.

First time meeting my host mom!

This was a welcoming ceremony in my town with all of the municipality workers (about 50 people). The mayor (to my right) introduced me and gave a big speech, half of which I didn't understand. I was so overwhelmed.

Giving my first speech in my town. My Spanish has come so far since then!

Me, the mayor, and a ton of glittery flowers. Everyone laughed at this moment, realizing how tall I was compared to him.

First visit to the public school I work with.

Preparation of goat for a meal at a school event. My first of many.

My room when I first moved in. So empty!

PS: On a completely separate and unrelated note, the newborn cuy from my previous post sadly, but not surprisingly, died after none of the mothers would take it in. I've already decided should this situation arise again in the future, I will either need to harden my heart or immediately offer to buy the baby cuy.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda~

    It is no surprise to me that you would find a way to endure. You are tough and independent. No matter how much you miss friends, family, and home you're still the strongest woman I know.

    ReplyDelete