The Northern Coast

The Northern Coast
The Northern Coast--photo by Zack Thieman

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The internet is robbing my soul.

So, getting the internet in my room couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm presenting my community diagnostic tomorrow for all of the town authorities (assuming they all come) and, well, I've been a little distracted.

Its just after not having unlimited internet for so long, I kind of got a little out of hand. I watched a billion youtube videos (because all of you people kept posting stuff on facebook that I couldn't watch!), I stalked everyone I could think of to see what they've been doing for the last 10 months (if you're reading this...I probably stalked you. Nice photos, by the way), I chatted with various different people, watched movie trailers, listened to music, downloaded podcasts, read blogs, read multiple NPR and BBC stories, and...well...just been very distracted. And emotional.

Is it possible that the internet can make you every emotion possible within an hour? Or is that just Peace Corps?

Also, while my host dad's claims aren't completely unfounded, he has now decided that if I am in my room I'm not depressed (remember? my "Sh*t my host dad says" post?), I'm just a slave to the internet. If I am ever in my room (even napping or say, actually working) I am instead surfing the internet and being a zombie. I walk out into the kitchen from my room smiling and saying, "hola," and he will just stare at me, a critical eye, and the second I'm out of site he says in a loud whisper, "Amanda is spending way too much time on the internet. She has it in her room and now look, she doesn't do anything else."

Well, I've actually been pretty good today and my diagnostic is looking pretty solid as a presentation, and when my host mom proof-read it for me it had probably the least amount of spelling and grammatical errors of anything I've ever written in Spanish, EVER. That means a lot to me considering; A) I'm used to being above average on those things in English and can't say the same for Spanish, and B) I CAN HAZ LEARN SPANISH GOOD?

Some highlights of things I've been perusing...

My good friend Kyra's Etsy Page. Man, that girl is beautiful! So proud of her and her awesome jewelry. And also, her daywalker fiánce and his glorious red beard (as seen in their fuh-reaking amazing engagement photos. MY FRIENDS ARE MODELS.)


Wrecked Metals from Josh Clason on Vimeo.
This vimeo of Wrecked Metals, a hotrod and chopper shop in Boise, Idaho, owned by one of the Farm Boys, Matt Whitlock (and one of my brother's friends), which makes me extremely homesick because it shows Boise and reminds me of my brother (as he's a Farm Boy, too).



This video that's been floating around on the facespace from other volunteers. Aside from the hand holding of men (which is not a cultural norm here, although I understand it is in Africa) this is pretty much spot on.

Okay, that's enough for now. Now that I can post things whenever I want, I can make these as short as I want.

4 comments:

  1. men holding hands is a thing in africa?? i thought it was like here with the whole homophobia vibe that runs through. huh, you learn new things every day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a sign of friendship. Back when Justin was trekking through Africa he said they would spend time in different towns and get to know people and he would often end up walking around with dudes holding hands.

      Delete
    2. I remember those times very vividly. The first couple weeks it was strange but after months of it you tend to get used to it.
      That video was hilarious!

      Justin

      Delete
  2. Again, you make me smile - I hope writing perks you up, because your writing and posting makes me smile!!! I have been a little hooked being online - buying stuff - amazon got me before Christmas, and kindle books, and deals, and, and,...
    love you!!
    Auntie Carrie

    ReplyDelete