The Northern Coast

The Northern Coast
The Northern Coast--photo by Zack Thieman

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Fiestas Patrias

This weekend is Peru’s Fiestas Patrias, or Independence Day celebration. July 28th is the official day of the celebration, so in traditional Peruvian fashion we all celebrated on July 27th so that no one had to work on Friday and could spend the holiday laying around.

I was surprised that my town didn’t really go all out for this celebration as they have for their town anniversary, saint anniversary, and other celebrations. It is literally the biggest holiday of the year. Apparently everyone would rather celebrate in other ways and go on vacation.  But they did have the traditional “desfile” (pronounced “des-fee-lay”) or parade/march.

For how many desfiles I’ve participated in, I realize I haven’t really talked about them on here. Well for one thing, desfiles happen with any large celebration, and they involve just about every institution and organization in town. In general there is just one strip of street around the park they close off for the desfile, and every school and organization has its turn to march along the strip carrying their banner. Everyone wears official uniforms or colors that represent their particular group. There is a band that plays to give everyone the beat to march to, and often within the schools there is a competition on who does the best goosestep. (My school always wins!)

Since I work with a couple different organizations in town, I end up “marching” with at least two groups during the celebrations. I always march with the municipality and with the public school I work with, and since I'm my own entity I dress up but I don't wear any official uniform. 

The weather is incredible these days—sunny and warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt, but cools off enough at night to wear a sweater and even pants. I absolutely love it!


Everyone hanging out in the park waiting for the desfile

The band, starting the desfile off and setting the beat

A private school waits in queue for their turn

The band in its place

One of the organizations in town marching with their banner

A credit union (or bank cooperative). Some places have Señoritas or "Miss---" for their organization to represent them in events like this one. I've never seen this girl before the desfile, but she gave quite a few people whip-lash.

Under the small awning are all the big-wigs in town--the mayor, the priest, and other important authorities, along with the elected "Señorita" of our town

The public school I work with getting ready to march

Everyone who's invited to march gets their turn

This guy has the best seat in the house

The kids from my school doing their best goosestep

More marching.

The kids along with the director. A lot of these kids are in my youth group

I decided to jump in for a photo

Someone using their tablet as a camera. I've also seen it being used as a phone.

The police finishing off the desfile.
Today in Lima there was a big desfile that was shown on TV, and my host family has been eating special meals all weekend long. Otherwise things have been pretty quiet in my little town, and it's been a really laid-back weekend. Everyone must have left, because usually this celebration can get a little out of hand. I mean, I can't complain really. Usually fireworks are set off every morning at 5 a.m. and continued until 1 a.m., but not this year. Considering that I know that is how they usually celebrate, I'm kind of weirded out. Where's all the ruckus? 



2 comments:

  1. The ruckus is in Monsefú, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda,

    Greetings from the Peace Corps' Office of Third Goal and Returned Volunteer Services! Thank you for participating in the Third Goal, sharing world cultures with Americans, through your blog. We enjoyed reading about Peru's Fiestas Patrias celebtrations. Though your community's celebrations were more quiet than expeected, the desfile looked like a lot of fun in your pictures! This brings back good memories from when I was a Volunteer in Guatemala - parades there are almost identical to this. I especially like the guy sitting on his roof. Always a good way to see over the crowd (if you don't happen to be a tall gringo).

    www.peacecorps.gov/thirdgoal
    thirdgoal@peacecorps.gov

    ReplyDelete